Monday, June 21, 2010

It's Been A While



This is a smaller version of a post I've been meaning to write for a while.

As I've said in the past, I have been digging through the tens of thousands of cards I've been slowing bringing back to my house from my parents basement.

This card caught my eye the other day. It doesn't scan well, so my apologies for that, but it's a 1992 Rookie Sensation card of Darren Lewis. For starters I was unaware that Darren played for 13 seasons. I was aware that he was a speed guy with little to no power. I think even Craig Counsell's career OPS puts him to shame.

Anyway, I was struck by the blue card. I remember I was chasing someone's rookie sensation card from this set, but I can't remember who. I do remember really liking the blue cards and it might explain my infatuation with the 2003 Topps set. Anyone else have any memory of this subset?

On a side note, my fantasy baseball team is in a state of disarray. It's like I'm in a game of No Limit Hold 'Em and I can't survive the swings, they're killing me.

Tulowitzki's yearly broken bone and subsequent 2 month absence is really going to put a dent in my championship plans. I'm pondering dealing him for a Ryan Howard/Prince Fielder type guy with a closer tossed in to round out my rotation that's apparently now rounding into shape.

Jake Peavy's dead arm may finally be a thing of the past, but I fear that it's too late for him (and Verlander) to help me make up the distance in the K category. I was counting on those two guys for ~500 Ks. I might get 400. That's going to cost me 6-7 roto points. Darn you two.

As for the offense. Sadly, Nick Swisher is all I have to go on at first base and since he's still batting over .280, I'm going to be taking the plunge when his average dies, total bases dry up and RBIs go away. He'll probably still walk a bunch and score runs if they let him bat second enough.

Victor Martinez, Kid Swish, Uggla, Jeter, and Longoria will round out the infield for now. Crawford, Magglio (gosh, wish I didn't have to sit him last week due to injury concerns), and Marlon Byrd make up the outfield, and this is how dire things are. I'm starting Rickie Weeks at DH. Yup, Rickie Weeks. It's bad. I can't even bring myself to look at Berkman or Jose Bautista.

The pitching staff seems okay, but I really wish I had Brett Anderson healthy. Peavy and Verlander are joined by Kennedy (tough luck guy lately, pitches great, can't win), and Jeff Niemann. 5th starter d'jour continues to be Kris Medlen until he makes me think otherwise. Marmol and shaky shaky Heath Bell are the two savers.

I really do have a backlog of post ideas I need to get out here, I've been stuck on a side project for a while now, and I don't envision it getting any better anytime soon with the Ginter Code dropping this week. Take care. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment